“Off the Map” may or may not be back next season. If not, two of its stars may stay on TV together anyway.
For that, you can thank NBC’s drama pilot “The Crossing,” which has cast “OTM” star Martin Henderson in its lead role, Deadline reports. His casting comes a day after the show, which is set in the 1860s, hired Henderson’s “Off the Map” co-star Rachelle LeFevre. Bill Sage (“Precious,” “Nurse Jackie”) has also joined the pilot.
“The Crossing” is about a Civil War soldier (Henderson) who settles in a Missouri town as Reconstruction begins and becomes invovled with a war widow (LeFevre). NBC would have to recast both parts if the ratings-challenged “Off the Map” somehow gets a second season, but the pilot’s producers must not be overly concerned about that at the moment.
Other casting news, as reported by Deadline:
– Aidan Quinn, who’s currently co-starring in “Unknown,” has joined the cast of NBC’s “Prime Suspect” remake. He’ll play Detective Jane Timoney’s (Maria Bello) boss in the New York-set series.
– Angela Bassett, late of “ER” and soon to be seen in “Green Lantern,” will play another top cop in ABC’s drama “Identity.” Her character is the head of an FBI unit created to stop identity crimes.
– CBS’ Rob Schneider comedy has cast several members of the Mexican-American family Schneider’s character marries into (the show is based on Schneider’s own life). Nadine Velazquez (“My Name Is Earl”) will play his wife, Maggie; Tony Plana (“Ugly Betty”) will play Maggie’s dad; and Lupe Ontiveros (“Desperate Housewives”) will play Maggie’s grandmother.
– Also at CBS, Danny Comden (“I’m With Her”) is the first person cast in a comedy pilot based on the life of ESPN Radio host Colin Cowherd (known in some corners as “Herd Mentality”). He’ll play the producer of the radio show within the show.
– “Battlestar Galactica’s” James Callis has joined NBC’s drama “17th Precinct,” which is written by “BSG” exec producer Ron Moore and co-stars another “Galactica” alum, Jamie Bamber. Matt Long (“Mad Men,” “The Deep End”) has also joined the cast of the supernatural-infused cop show; both will play detectives.
– Also: Lauren Ambrose (“Six Feet Under”) will star in FOX’s drama “Weekends at Bellevue,” which has also cast “Greek’s” Amber Stevens; “Lost” alum Rebecca Mader has joined ABC’s comedy “Work It”; Sarah Paulson (“Studio 60”) will play the lead in NBC’s Kari Lizer comedy about a downsizing expert; “Without a Trace” alum Enrique Murciano will star opposite Minnie Driver in CBS’ “Hail Mary”; and British actor Ben Aldridge will star in The CW’s drama “Heavenly.”