Sad news from Dwayne Johnson, who has posted a touching tribute to Brutus, the dog he famously rescued a few weeks ago. Fair warning — if you’re a dog lover, you might want to have a box of tissues handy.

“At approximately 11:15 pm last night [I] had to make the painful decision to end Brutus’ suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven,” explains the “Furious 7” star. “I held his lil’ paw as he was finally at peace.”

The baby French Bulldog came into The Rock’s life over Labor Day weekend , when he adopted both Brutus and his brother Hobbs. When Brutus jumped in the actor’s pool and nearly drowned, Johnson saved his life once. But unfortunately, it seems that Brutus got ahold of some poisonous mushrooms, and this time even the muscle-bound action star couldn’t save the day.

RELATED: 10 times The Rock did Instagram better than you

“As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs,” Johnson explains. “This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return.”

Despite his grief, Johnson tries to find inspiration in his little dog’s short life. “[It’s] another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today,” he reminds his 28.2 million Instagram followers. “Because tomorrow is never guaranteed.”

“I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside where your dogs play,” he says to other dog owners. “What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family members.”

Johnson goes on to thank the veterinarians who tried to help Brutus, then offers a final tribute. “We’ll always love you Brutus … and you’ll always be my lil’ main man and rough housing Brute.”

Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus' suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil' paw as he was finally at peace. As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return. I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members. Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We'll always love you Brutus.. and you'll always be my lil' main man and rough housing Brute. #RIPBrutus #WishICouldHaveSavedYouOneMoreTime #TheresPickUpTrucksInHeavenYouCanPeeIn

A post shared by therock (@therock) on

Posted by:Larry Carroll

Writer, Geek, Bon Vivant.