While there are plenty of viable humans perfectly capable of the job — you can see a list of a few good selections here — we have a better idea. Why not a fictional character?
Inspired by the sizable Facebook and Twitter campaign lobbying for the Muppets to have a crack at the gig (which we wholeheartedly support, by the way), we’ve come up with a list of other fictional characters who would do an excellent job at hosting the 2012 Oscars.
1. Ron Swanson, “Parks and Recreation” — You wouldn’t have to worry about any of the usual timing issues, since Ron’s ceremony would be approximately 20 minutes long (including a commercial break).
2. Megan, “Bridesmaids” — It’s Melissa McCarthy‘s year, we’re all just living in it.
3. Michael Bolton, “Office Space” — The most apathetic ceremony ever!
4. Jenna Maroney, “30 Rock” — You’d have the opposite problem here. Jenna would spend so much time including her own song-and-dance numbers that she’d probably forget to give out any awards at all.
5. Tim Riggins, “Friday Night Lights” — Shirtless, obviously.
6. Jeremy Grey, “Wedding Crashers” — It’d be money, baby. (Sorry, all of Vince Vaughn‘s roles blur together.)
7. Dexter Morgan, “Dexter” — A slightly darker take than Anne Hathaway’s chipper enthusiasm of 2011.
8. Damon Salvatore, “The Vampire Diaries” — We’d also suggest he go shirtless for this one, but since he looks so good in a tux, it’s a toss-up.
Who else would you add to the list? Which fictional character is your dream Oscar host?