If you’ve got friends coming over for the big game tonight — or Tom Brady just makes you really, really hungry, you’re probably going to want to whip up a 7-layer dip for the occasion. It’s a Super Bowl classic and a universal crowd-pleaser, after all.
Per usual, we defer to the Food Network for these things, so today we bring you Rachael Ray’s “Lucky 7 Layer Dip.” (She does not specify whether it’s lucky for Giants fans or Patriots fans, but we know it can’t be lucky for both.) This version takes 15 minutes to whip up, so if uninvited guests crash your party, slap on a smile!
Unless they’re not rooting for your team. In that case, kick them out.
- 1 (15-ounce) can refried beans
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (16 to 18 ounce) jar green chili or tomatillo salsa
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, a palm full, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 2/3 palm full
- 1 (16 to 18 ounce) jar chipotle salsa
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- Pimiento stuffed jumbo Spanish olives, chopped
- Tortilla chips, buy 2 sacks in 2 different colors/varieties
Heat refried beans in small nonstick pan over medium heat and season with hot sauce. Transfer the beans to a small, deep casserole dish. Scrape pan clean with rubber spatula and return to heat.
Add a little extra-virgin olive oil to the pan and raise heat to high. When the oil smokes, add the scallions and sear them, 2 to 3 minutes. Add green salsa to scallions and heat through. Add cilantro, remove salsa from heat, and layer on top of the beans.
Return the same pan to the stove, lower heat to medium and add black beans, heat through and season with cumin, layer on top of the green salsa.
Top the black beans with a layer of chipotle salsa. Mix sour cream the lime zest and juice and spread on top of the chipotle salsa.
Combine the meat of 2 ripe avocados with garlic, lemon juice, jalapeno and salt to form a chunky guacamole. Top the salsa with guacamole. Garnish the dip with the final layer of diced tomatoes and sliced olives.