Instead, Dorothy Hamill, the Olympic figure skater, announced that, due to a possibly irreparable injury, she and partner Tristan MacManus would be leaving the “DWTS” competition. Her tears fell as she explained that doctors had ordered her stop dancing.
Dorothy and Tristan were not in the bottom two, but their withdrawal allowed the actual couples on the bottom to survive into week 3.
As for the rest of the night, keep reading.
Going into eliminations, standings don’t always mean so much. It is interesting, however, to compare points from the judges with the actual results.
1. Zendaya and Val Chmerkovskiy — 50 points
2. Kellie Pickler and Derek Hough — 47 points
3. Aly Raisman and Mark Ballas — 45 points
4. Jacoby Jones and Karina Smirnoff — 43 points
5. Ingo Rademacher and Kym Johnson — 40 points
6. Sean Lowe and Peta Murgatroyd — 39 points
7. Andy Dick and Sharna Burgess — 37 points
8. (tie) Dorothy Hamill and Tristan MacManus — 36 points
8. (tie) Wynonna Judd and Tony Dovolani — 36 points
8. (tie) Lisa Vanderpump and Gleb Savchenko — 36 points
8. (tie) Victor Ortiz and Lindsay Arnold — 36 points
12. D.L. Hughley and Cheryl Burke — 28 points
Three couples were declared safe in the first round. Ingo Rademacher and Kym Johnson, Sean Lowe and Peta Murgatroyd, and Wynonna Judd and Tony Dovolani all found out they were safe at the beginning of the show.
Two couples — one of which had a super-low score — got the next safe results. Aly Raisman and Mark Ballas weren’t a shock to survive, but who would have predicted that D.L. Hughley and Cheryl Burke would be safe too?
High scorers Kelly Pickler and Derek Hough, along with Zendaya and Val Chmerkovskiy, were unsurprising picks to be safe. They were joined in third round of announcements by Jacoby Jones and Karina Smirnoff.
The final batch of pre-elimination results saved Dorothy Hamill and Tristan MacManus.
Andy Dick and Sharna Burgess got the final save before the bottom two were announced.
The three couples in jeopardy for this first elimination were Victor Ortiz and Lindsay Arnold, Lisa Vanderpump and Gleb Savchenko, and Andy Dick and Sharna Burgess.
Andy and Sharna were declared safe, but a twist was coming before the final elimination: Due to injury, Dorothy Hamill had to withdraw from the competition. She and Tristan MacManus therefore took the final dance while the bottom two couples breathed a sigh of relief.