Tonight’s cuppa: organic fair-trade coffee

Jake Anderson.jpgDiscovery’s “Deadliest Catch” doesn’t return until Tuesday, April 12, but I recently had a long conversation with F/V Northwestern deckhand Jake Anderson (at left) — which has already produced one story for Zap2it, and another for print, which will come out the week of April 10 — but I thought I’d give my Cuppers an exclusive look at an incident that they may not see on the show.

As fans know, Anderson was originally seen on “Deadliest Catch” as the greenhorn on the Northwestern deck, perpetually under the scrutiny and tutelage of Capt. Sig Hansen.

But Anderson has progressed in his studies and off the deck, and apparently he’s taking on new responsibilities.

“This is some inside information that you won’t see on TV,” Anderson says, “and that nobody really knows. Sig had his back out the last day we delivered, so I had to move the boat.

“I’m trying to wake him up. I’m like ‘Sig, get up, wake up, man. You’ve got to move the boat. All right, if you don’t get up, I’m going to move the boat by myself.’ He didn’t budge, so I moved the boat once. I’d been moving it a few times with him.

“I’m like, ‘Oh, man, it’s so easy without him over my shoulder.’ I did it once, and then he gets up, and he runs, and we moved it. He’s teasing me, trying to tell me that I’m just whispering to him and not actually yelling at him to get up.”

But then Anderson got even more responsibility when it came to returning the Northwestern to its home port in Seattle, Wash., after fishing in Alaska’s Bering Sea.

“So Sig flew home,” says Anderson, “and the last thing he said to me was, ‘All right,Thumbnail image for Captain_Sig_Hansen_Deadliest_Catch_1.jpg it’s time for you to step up.’ Norman (Sig Hansen’s brother) was in charge of the vessel, and I look at  Norman, and Norman says, ‘Well, you know what, if you want to be in charge on the way down, we still have a few things to do here. You can call the Coast Guard, and get your transit number, and call the office in Seattle, and then you can take it all the way into the Ballard Locks.’

“Especially when you go to Seattle, you’ve got to dot your Is and cross your Ts and fill the logbooks out. So I docked it three times, and then we get into Seattle, and I had to dock it four times, before we were actually all done, and we can go home.

“The first time I docked it, we had to pick up Sig at the dock in Seattle, so he can go through the locks with us, because I never went through the Ballard Locks. I was so scared, because you have all these people there, your family there waiting for the boat to come into Seattle to its home port.

“Then we went through the locks. Now we’re fine, and then we had to pull through all these little Fiberglas boats in the dock and into this little spot to wave to my family. I’m trying to wave to my family as I’m driving the boat, and it was scary.

“I did it, and it was good.”

Posted by:Kate O'Hare