Bad news, “Breaking Bad” fans. Things have gotten ugly in the Dish Network vs. AMC battle, and now, Dish has released a statement announcing plans to cut AMC, IFC, and WeTV from its service on Saturday, June 30 at 11:59 p.m. — which means things do not look good for that July 15 premiere of your favorite show.
Earlier this month, Dish moved AMC, IFC, and WeTV up on the dial. The shift, which relegated AMC from Channel 130 to Channel 9609 without notice, effectively buried the programming.
Dish says that AMC is demanding too much money to air its content, given low ratings on IFC and WeTV. AMC claimed that this shift was the provider’s way of retaliating for an ongoing lawsuit.
“It is unfortunate that, in retaliation for an unrelated lawsuit,
DISH is punishing its customers by threatening to drop the AMC Networks,
and with this sudden, dramatic change in channel position, making it
extremely difficult for their customers to find and watch some of the
most popular and acclaimed shows on television,” AMC said in a statement. “We’ve begun letting fans of Mad Men, The Walking
Dead, Breaking Bad, The Killing, and our other shows know that they may
lose this programming, which is available on every other major satellite
and cable TV provider.”
We have to admit, the “Mad Men”-themed ads were pretty clever.
Dish was not amused, issuing the following statement: “It’s regrettable that AMC Networks is choosing to run this ad. This is
about more than just one show — AMC Networks required us to provide,
and charges DISH for, channels beyond AMC, including Sundance, IFC and
WE. In aggregate, these channels do not deliver the right value to our
customer base for the price AMC Networks demands.”
Dish Network customers, will you switch providers after they drop AMC on Saturday night?