Apparently Facebook users have better things to do than share stories about Kim Kardashian or splashy royal weddings. In 2011, the site’s most-shared news stories included just one true entertainment news item: the death of “Jackass’ star Ryan Dunn.
But the list reads like a mini-year in review, ticking down some of 2011’s most talked about events, from Japan’s earthquake and tsunami damage to the revelation of an alleged new zodiac sign (pictured above) and the death of Apple founder Steve Jobs.
The top story was a March comparison of satellite photos of Japan before and after the quake and tsunami. Meanwhile, the supposed new zodiac sign — Ophiuchus — landed on the list three separate times. Viral videos, too, made the list — including one of two diaper-clad toddlers babbling at each other and that other baby that likes to rip paper. Good times. Opinion pieces — like that Wall Street Journal piece about the superiority of Chinese mothers — also rose to the top of the heap.
Here’s the top 10:
1. Satellite Photos of Japan, Before and After the Quake and Tsunami
2. What teachers really want to tell parents
3. No, your zodiac sign hasn’t changed
4. Parents, don’t dress your girls like tramps
5. (video) – Father Daughter Dance Medley
6. At funeral, dog mourns the death of Navy SEAL killed in Afghanistan
7. You’ll freak when you see the new Facebook
8. Dog in Japan stays by the side of ailing friend in the rubble
9. Giant crocodile captured alive in Philippines
10. New Zodiac Sign Dates: Ophiuchus The 13th Sign?
(Visit Facebook for the full 40-item list.)
And, as we mentioned above several stories — including the speedy break-up of Kim Kardashian’s marriage to Kris Humphries, the April marriage of Prince William and Kate Middleton, the Conrad Murray trial, Charlie Sheen’s very public whatever-that-was and the field of GOP presidential candidates — don’t seem to be anywhere on the radar.
Do you think anything was left out?