“The Real” host Jeannie Mai has had a pretty busy year with the success of her daytime talk show, so she’s looking forward to spending time with her husband and nieces and nephews this Christmas.
Zap2it asked some of our favorite TV stars about their holiday celebrations, and in Mai’s questionnaire she reveals some of her favorite Christmas traditions. They include spiked hot cocoa (and spiked hot apple cider and spiked mulled wine), Mariah Carey’s and Tamar Braxton’s Christmas albums and a crackling fireplace.
1. What are you most looking forward to this holiday season?
Spending time with my family and husband! I haven’t seen him much this year so that will be so nice. Also hanging out with all my nieces and nephews now that they’re older … they’re so much fun when they start getting sassy!
2. This year, are you on Santa’s naughty or nice list?
Nice, of course!
3. Opening presents: Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?
Both! I say spread it out … I love making moments last.
4. What are the top 3 items on your stocking stuffer list?
I always am in need of good socks. I also love a good Target gift card. And of course dark chocolate, hello!
5. What are your all-time favorite holiday songs?
Man, that entire Mariah Carey album can be on repeat for me. I also am enjoying my co-host’s Tamar Braxton’s Christmas album, too!
6. What are your all-time favorite holiday movies?
“Mannequin” is all-time favorite. Those romantic mall scenes get me! And “Coming To America” does it all!
7. Best holiday scent: cookies baking, roasting chestnuts or a fresh evergreen? (Or name your own!)
All of the above! And a toasty crackling fireplace.
8. What’s the quirkiest tradition your family has during the holidays?
Being Asian American in a mixed race marriage, we do what we call the Asian White Elephant. It’s super awesome to mix traditions.
9. What’s the most embarrassing homemade ornament from your childhood that your mom and dad still hang on the tree?
Nothing I make is embarrassing! They’re priceless …
10. Sledding or ice skating?
Neither. Can’t mess this money maker. [points to face]
11. Do you prefer to spend your holidays somewhere with snow on the ground or somewhere warm?
Warm … ugh the thought of being cold. Nothing is cute when you’re shivering.
12. What is the best gift you have ever given and the best gift you ever received?
I really love giving. The best feeling to receive is giving to someone who needs more than yourself.
13. Hot cocoa, warm apple cider, mulled wine or a hot toddy?
All with alcohol.
14. Have you ever kissed anyone under the mistletoe? Will you tell us who?!
Freddy Harteis, and he’s mine now.
15. Do you go out or stay in on New Year’s Eve?
Stay out all day everyday until my birthday Jan. 4th!