Testifying on Monday (Nov. 21) at an inquiry into alleged media intrusion into the e-mail and cell phone accounts of celebrities, actor Hugh Grant said he believes he was hacked by British paper The Mail on Sunday. According to the Associated Press, this is the first time Grant has implicated a news outlet not owned by media mogul Rupert Murdoch.
Grant said that a 2007 Mail on Sunday story about his romantic life could only have been discovered by listening to his private voice mails. He testified that he couldn’t think of any other way the newspaper snagged the story about his conversations with a “plummy voiced” woman.
Several other celebrities are expected to testify at the inquiry, including actress Sienna Miller and author J.K. Rowling.
British authorities kicked off the inquiry after news broke earlier this year that several Rupert-owned properties, including News of the World, had routinely hacked into cell phones.