One of Martha Stewart’s dogs has died in a deadly propane explosion at a Carbon County kennel in Pennsylvania.
Her Chow Chow — Genghis Kahn — was one of 16 or 17 dogs killed in a tragic propane blast that happened during a propane delivery to the elite kennel.
Some of the deceased were show dogs, all were beloved pets. Many terrified dogs made a beeline for the turnpike and the forest. All of those have reportedly been recovered.
The delivery man was able to toss a few dogs to safety before he himself was burned.
Several police officers also were burned in the process of rescuing dogs.
I cannot begin to imagine the heartbreak all these pet owners are going through.
Martha has put up a memorial to her dearly deceased on her blog.
And she even twittered about the loss of her beloved Genghis.
To prove that it really is a small dog world, I just found out that poor Genghis’ late father, Paw Paw, was the half brother of Prince, the beloved pet of my boss, Joseph Kapsch, executive producer for LA Times/Tribune Interactive and editorial director for Zap2it.com.
The pups shared the same father, Schemer, but had different mothers.
Cuddle your dogs close tonight and be very, very grateful.
Photos: Genghis (Martha Stewart) Prince (Joseph Kapsch)