It’s good news and bad news for “Twin Peaks” fans. The good news is the revival of the cult classic is not canceled; the bad news is that creator David Lynch says he’s not directing it.
Rumors began swirling last month that the revival on Showtime was not going to happen after Lynch said there were still issues he and the company were ironing out in regards to the series. Showtime insisted at the time that everything was still on track and everyone involved was thrilled with the project.
However, Sunday (April 5) a fansite called Twin Peaks Festival reported that Lynch began calling actors to say the revival was off. That wasn’t actually the case and in response to the news, Lynch released a statement to the site.
Showtime did not pull the plug on Twin Peaks.
After one year and four months of negotiations, I left because not
enough money was offered to do the script the way I felt it needed to be
This weekend I started to call actors to let them know I would not be directing.
Twin Peaks may still be very much alive at Showtime.
I love the world of Twin Peaks and wish things could have worked out differently.
In response to the news, Showtime tells Zap2it in a statement, “We were saddened to read David Lynch’s statement today since we believed we were working towards solutions with David and his reps on the few remaining deal points.
“Showtime also loves the world of ‘Twin Peaks’ and we continue to hold out hope that we can bring it back in all its glory with both of its extraordinary creators, David Lynch and Mark Frost, at its helm.”
The scripts for the limited revival series could still be written by Lynch. It’s unknown at this time how far he and Frost were in writing the nine-episode order.