Welcome back, “Warehouse 13”! The charming Syfy series returns tonight (July 23), and based on tonight’s premiere, its fourth season might be its best yet.
Don’t believe us? Here are five things to know about “A New Hope”:
1. All That Remains: Season 4 resumes just after last year’s dramatic finale. The once-massive depository for some of the world’s most dangerous artifacts is now a Warehouse-size crater somewhere in South Dakota.
2. Body Count: Steve Jinks (Aaron Ashmore), H.G. Wells (Jaime Murray) and MacPherson, who destroyed the Warehouse, are dead, and Mrs. Frederic (CCH Pounder) has evaporated. Still, we have reason to hope for their return!
3. The Dark Side: Unlike Mrs. Frederick, Claudia’s (Allison Scagliotti) bitterness about Jinks’ death has not evaporated. And unlike the rest of the team, she refuses to accept it. Look for her to go renegade (outfitted like a ninja) with the metronome and plans for resurrection. And if Artie’s (Saul Rubinek) disturbing premonition comes true, Claudia will be going full-on Darth Vader on the team.
4. Karma Bites: Brent Spiner and Rubinek are reuniting on TV for the first time since Rubinek played a diabolical “collector” trying to um, warehouse Spiner’s Data in a memorable episode of “Star Trek: The Next Generation.” The tables are turned this time, as Spiner is introduced in the “W13” premiere as Brother Adrian, the zealous leader of a sect charged with protecting artifacts associated with the Catholic faith.
5. Special Effects Are Finally Special: Brand-new in 2012: “Warehouse 13’s” special effects do not suck! We’re not sure whether their budget has increased as a result of “Eureka’s” cancellation, or they’re using a new design house — whatever the explanation, “W13” at last has special effects worthy of a science fiction show. Here’s hoping the premiere is not an anomaly, and if the Warehouse is in fact restored, its looks like an actual warehouse rather than a toy model.
“Warehouse 13” tonight July 23 at 9 p.m., followed by the second-season premiere of “Alphas” at 10 p.m.