With only 10 episodes left — and six months before they premiere — Screener wants to take a look back through the twisty mysteries and tangled lives of everyone’s favorite “Pretty Little Liars.” So join us daily as we revisit Rosewood of old. The entire show is streaming on Netflix if you’d like to watch the episodes for yourselves.
Up next: Season 1, episode 8, “Please, Do Talk About Me When I’m Gone,” aired July 27, 2010.
What we thought then …
After a few episodes with very little development, “Please, Do Talk About Me When I’m Gone” is chock full of interesting beats. The biggest revelations are:
- Toby (Keegan Allen) called Alison (Sasha Pieterse) the night she disappeared and she took the call, which makes him look pretty guilty at this point.
- Jessica DiLaurentis (Andrea Parker) needs pills to sleep, which sometimes don’t work and then she walks around the house all night.
- Jenna (Tammin Sursok) says at the memorial that Alison visited her in the hospital after her accident and was the strongest person that Jenna had ever met. She also tells Spencer the conversation was about Alison being afraid of Spencer.
- The purple name bracelet was found on Alison’s body — so where did the new one come from? It’s a clue!
- Someone destroys Alison’s memorial during the “A” tag.
What we know now …
- When Toby called Alison the night she disappeared, we find out in later in a flashback that Alison didn’t actually take the call, so that’s either a mistake or Wilden (Bryce Johnson) is lying.
- Jessica is distraught not simply because her daughter died, but because she thinks her adopted daughter/niece Charlotte (Vanessa Ray) killed Alison and she (Jessica) helped bury the body.
- Alison actually visited Jenna in the hospital to threaten her with the NAT video of her blackmailing Toby into a sexual relationship so that Jenna would keep quiet about who actually blinded her. The Spencer stuff was a lie.
- But we learn even farther along in the series that Alison also crossed Jenna off her list as “A” after that hospital visit.
- “A” (a.k.a. Mona) made the purple “Alison” bracelet (and a “Jenna” one) using the name “Spencer Hastings” to order them — though we also find out later that Alison gave Mona her bracelet at the Lost Woods motel. Also, Bethany Young was wearing an Alison bracelet when she was buried by Melissa and the show has never really explained that.
- It is later revealed that Lucas, not “A,” is the one who destroyed Alison’s memorial.
Hindsight hilarity …
“Does Jason look the same? I got the impression he looks different,” says Jenna, which is really funny considering Jason DiLaurentis is played by Parker Bagley in Season 1 and then later played by Drew Van Acker for the rest of the series.
Creepiest dude award goes to …
Sean (Chuck Hittinger) for the second episode in a row. He was so great when the series started, but his weirdness about Lucas (Brendan Robinson) hanging out with Hanna is juvenile, controlling and ridiculous.
Best ‘A’ message …
What’s particularly interesting about this message is that it’s kind of fun to pretend it’s actually from Alison. In “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer,” everyone believes Tom is dead and he watches his own funeral from the rafters of the church. It would be just like Alison to find a way to spy on her own memorial.