Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell in Prison Break

FOX announced Friday (Jan. 15) at the 2016 TCA winter press tour that the “Prison Break” sequel it announced back in August is officially going into production with stars Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell and creator Paul T. Scheuring.

While details of the sequel are being kept under wraps, FOX CEO Dana Walden reveals to Zap2it that the show will not be a domestic story.

RELATED: ‘Prison Break’ sequel picks up several years after the original series

“The story unravels on an international landscape, it’s not a domestic show,” says Walden. “It’s exciting. It’s hard because I know Paul Scheuring wants to be the one to share the little details about it, but I’m hoping that we’ll see many characters from [the original series] return throughout the season. It just has all the twists and turns that you’ve come to expect from that show. Again, we open on a very international, sort of very contemporary-feeling story.”

Walden also says that they’re thinking it will be nine episodes and that production will hopefully start in late March.

“We’re trying to carve out our production schedule. Wentworth and Dom are obviously in CW shows right now, so we’re trying to work our production schedule around theirs,” says Walden.

She also echoes her comments in August with regards to Miller’s character Michael having died in the straight-to-video final episode. Walden previously said that there is a “logical, believable” explanation “for why our characters are alive and still moving around the world.”

This time around, Walden laughs as she says that “Prison Break” is “not a documentary,” but “they do address” Michael’s death.

Posted by:Andrea Reiher

TV critic by way of law school, Andrea Reiher enjoys everything from highbrow drama to clever comedy to the best reality TV has to offer. Her TV heroes include CJ Cregg, Spencer Hastings, Diane Lockhart, Juliet O'Hara and Buffy Summers. TV words to live by: "I'm a slayer, ask me how."