“The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is back and that means a whole new generation of viewers are being introduced to Dr. Frank-N-Furter (Laverne Cox), the “Time Warp” and everything else associated with the iconic midnight movie.
FOX’s “The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let’s Do the Time Warp Again” is a remake of the original film but luckily, the age-old tradition of audience participation remains intact. “Rocky Horror” has a long history of audiences making up rules to follow while they watch and this new version is no different — in fact it even incorporates many of them into the story.
To make sure you’re properly prepared for a true “Rocky Horror” experience, take a look at the list of props and rules below. Get ready for some fun.
What you’ll need:
- Water gun
- Candle/flashlight/lighter/cell phone light
- Rubber gloves
- Toilet paper
- Party hat
- Playing cards
- Throw rice when Ralph and Betty exit the church after their wedding. It’s only polite, seeing as they invited you to their nuptials.
- Hold the newspaper over your head when Brad and Janet get caught in the storm. You don’t want to get wet, right?
- With your head covered, also shoot the water gun into the air. What’s a rainstorm without any water?
- During the “There’s a light” chorus of “Over at the Frankenstein Place,” hold up your candle, flashlight, lighter or cell phone to illuminate the room.
- When Frank snaps her rubber gloves during the creation speech, follow suit in snapping your own.
- When the creation speech ends and the Transylvanians celebrate, break out your own noisemakers and start a party!
- When Frank and Rocky head toward the bedroom at the end of “Charles Atlas Song,” throw confetti to celebrate their impending… union.
- Throw your toilet paper in the air when Dr. Scott arrives and Brad shouts, “Great Scott!”
- When Dr. Scott proposes a toast at dinner, throw your piece of toast in the air. That is, if you haven’t eaten it already.
- During dinner, Frank will put on a party hat. Be like Frank, put on your hat.
- When Frank sings “Planet Schmanet Janet,” he’ll ask, “Did you hear a bell ring?” Go ahead and ring your bell. Keys will work if you don’t have a bell handy.
- Finally, during “I’m Coming Home,” Frank will sing, “Cards for sorrow, cards for pain.” Throw your playing cards in the air then settle in for the rest of the movie. Congratulations, you’ve had your very own “Rocky Horror” experience.
The bonus rule:
- There’s one rule for the movie that doesn’t involve a prop. However, it does get a little vulgar. Every time Brad’s name is used, you shout “a**hole” and anytime Janet is said, you should yell, “slut.” Sure it’s crass but it’s also tradition. Of course, if you’re watching with kids, perhaps it’s best to skip this part.
“The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let’s Do the Time Warp Again!” premieres Thursday (Oct. 21) at 8 p.m. ET/PT on FOX.